Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great use of beef stew meat! Wonderful beef stew with coriander, coconut and tomatoes. This is a dish from East Africa, but has lots of Indian influence. It combines the Indian spice coriander with several classic African ingredients...peanuts, coconut, tomatoes, and green beans. I think you could substitute okra for the green beans if you wanted to.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen cut green beans or 1 (9 ounce) package frozen okra, cut up
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Brown beef in a dutch oven, half at a time, in hot oil. Remove and set aside, reserving drippings. In drippings, cook onion and garlic till tender but not brown. Return all meat to dutch oven. Drain off fat.
- Add coconut milk, undrained tomatoes, salt and coriander into meat mixture. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover, simmer about 1 hour.
- Stir in beans (or okra), rice and peanuts. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and until meat and rice are tender.
This was very much enjoyed by my family. I used frozen baby okra, so didn't cut it up. The rice absorbed all the great flavours emitted while this was cooking together and was so flavourful. Thanks.
This was really great! I love Thai dishes with coconut, now I have a new cuisine to explore :) I used okra in this dish, and it came out very nicely- no slime at all. Next time I would add more coriander- I could taste it, but it wasn't a prominent flavor. I also had a bit of a problem with my rice- it was not done after 30 minutes, and was starting to scorch on the bottom of the pan. Fortunately, 1/2 cup of water and 10 more minutes took care of the problem. I think it was oldish rice, not a problem with the recipe. I love that this is a one dish meal- meat, veggie, and rice all in the same pot. I'll definitely make again! Made for ZWT7- Emerald City Shakers
The flavour of this dish is just really fantastic! I halved the recipe, added a bit more of the canned tomato and used 2/3 of the coconut. I omitted the beans because DH will not eat them. Still it was all delicious. I served it with a green salad. Definitely a keeper recipe and very easy to throw together. Made for 1-2-3 Tag