Recipe by breezermom
Great use of beef stew meat! Wonderful beef stew with coriander, coconut and tomatoes. This is a dish from East Africa, but has lots of Indian influence. It combines the Indian spice coriander with several classic African ingredients...peanuts, coconut, tomatoes, and green beans. I think you could substitute okra for the green beans if you wanted to.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
This was very much enjoyed by my family. I used frozen baby okra, so didn't cut it up. The rice absorbed all the great flavours emitted while this was cooking together and was so flavourful. Thanks.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen cut green beans or 1 (9 ounce) package frozen okra, cut up
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in a dutch oven, half at a time, in hot oil. Remove and set aside, reserving drippings. In drippings, cook onion and garlic till tender but not brown. Return all meat to dutch oven. Drain off fat.
- Add coconut milk, undrained tomatoes, salt and coriander into meat mixture. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover, simmer about 1 hour.
- Stir in beans (or okra), rice and peanuts. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and until meat and rice are tender.