Recipe by Ewokchef
This got rave reviews from my family. My daughter, Kirsten, said it was "better than Wise Guys" (a local restaurant) -- high praise! Country Woman via Taste of Home website. From the original contributor: "Here's a traditional lasagna with a dash of imagination. I make it different by using cream cheese and white cheddar. The layering is unusual, too, with meat on the bottom and cheese on top."
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons italian seasoning, divided
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Set aside 1 cup spaghetti sauce; stir remaining sauce into meat mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small saucepan, melt cream cheese over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in cottage cheese, eggs and parsley.
- Spread the meat sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles, cheddar cheese, 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and cream cheese mixture. Layer with remaining noodles and reserved spaghetti sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes more or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.