Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
To ensure evenly sized chunks, we prefer to purchase whole steak tips (sometimes labeled “flap meat”) and cut them ourselves. However, if you have long, thin pieces of meat, roll or fold them into approximate 2-inch cubes before skewering. (For more information, see related How-to-Cook.) Two and one-half pounds of blade steak can be substituted for the flap meat; if using, cut the steak in half and remove the gristle that runs through it. You will need four 12-inch metal skewers for this recipe. Our preferred brand of beef broth is Rachael Ray Stock-in-a-Box All-Natural Beef Flavored Stock. Prep-time include marinading time.
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 6 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil, plus extra for cooking grate
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Beef and Vegetables
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks, tips trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch chunks (see note)
- 1 large zucchini (about 1/2 pound) or 1 large summer squash, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large red onions or 1 large sweet onion, ends trimmed, peeled, halved lengthwise, core discarded, each half cut into 4 wedges and each wedge
- FOR THE MARINADE: Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth, about 45 seconds. Transfer ¾ cup marinade to large bowl and set aside.
- FOR THE BEEF AND VEGETABLES: Toss remaining marinade and beef in second large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 2 hours, tossing beef after 30 -minutes. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables and toss with reserved marinade. Cover and let vegetables marinate at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
- Remove beef from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Tightly thread beef onto two 12-inch metal skewers, rolling or folding meat as necessary to maintain 2-inch cubes. Thread vegetables onto two 12-inch metal skewers, in alternating pattern of zucchini, pepper, and onion.
- FOR A CHARCOAL GRILL: About 30 minutes before grilling, light large chimney starter mounded over rim with charcoal (7 quarts, about 120 briquettes). When top coals are partially covered with ash, arrange all coals in center of grill in even layer, leaving 2-inch gap between grill wall and charcoal. Set cooking grate over coals, cover, and heat grate until hot, about 5 minutes.
- FOR A GAS GRILL: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes.
- Place meat skewers in center of grill directly over coals and vegetable skewers near edge of coals but still over fire. Grill beef skewers until well browned, slightly charred, and instant-read thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 125 degrees for medium-rare, 12 to 16 minutes, turning every 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer beef skewers to serving platter, loosely tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes. Continue to grill vegetable skewers until vegetables are tender and slightly charred, about 5 minutes longer (17 to 21 minutes total), turning every 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to platter with beef. Remove beef and vegetables from skewers and serve.