Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom made this while I was growing up, and I simply loved it. I've made it several times for my husband and kids, and they love it just as much! I guess what makes it different is the crunchy water chestnuts...if you don't like them, just leave them out and add something that you do like, maybe mushrooms or carrots.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked barley
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen mixed vegetables
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a frying pan with nonsticking cooking spray. Brown the ground beef and onion. Drain.
- Mix the beef with all of the ingredients listed except the frozen veggies in a 3 quart casserole dish. Break up the tomatoes.
- Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes. Stir in the mixed veggies, then cover again and bake another 30 to 40 minutes or until the barley is done.