Recipe by Louise...
This is a simple, but tasty, adaptation of a number of different versions of Beef Barley Soup, leaving out all of the junk that I don't like (like lima beans!) Cooking time varies with the quality of the beef, and also the barley used, and how tender you like it.
- 8 -10 ounces boneless round steak, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley or 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cans condensed beef broth
- 7 cups water, approximately
- fresh ground pepper, to taste