Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 lbs beef short ribs with bones
- 5 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- In a soup kettle, combine ribs, water, tomatoes, onion, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat: cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs; cool.
- Skim fat. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth.
- Add carrots, celery and cabbage; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add barley; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Add parsley.
This a very tasty, stick-to-your-ribs soup. I added more water than the recipe calls for because I found it to be a little too thick for my likes.
I know summer is not the usual time to make soups but here in Ontario this summer, the weather has'nt been the greatest so soup really appealed to me. I did up to step 3 the first day and put it in the fridge. The next day I skimmed off the fat and carried on with the recipe. The only things I did differently from the recipe was I used beef shank (I had that on hand) instead of the short ribs and I also added a packet of Oxo beef bouillon. I found that the soup was a little thick (I think another reviewer commented on this) so the next time I would really cut down on the barley. But I must say, the soup was very easy to make and well worth the effort. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for an easy soup recipe that I will definitely make again.
Thank you for your wonderful recipe. I had not had beef barley soup in a long time and it tasted so good.