Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Serve with good bread and a nice red wine
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, broken up
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked barley (not quick-cooking)
- 2 cups peeled chopped potatoes
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Brown beef.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, water, bouillon, tomatoes, spices and salt. Stir to scrape up browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Cover. Simmer over low heat 1 ¼ hours.
- Stir in barley and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Add water to thin if necessary.
I just made this soup and it tasted pretty yummy fresh off the stove. I'm going to freeze some because I'm the only one in the house who will eat it and it made a LOT! I'll update as the flavors meld! Thanks for an easy recipe.