Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
All in one dish without the need to cook pasta in a separate pan. It has been a hit with my family. I found this recipe from the Family Circle magazine and adjusted to meet our family's tastes. They estimated that each serving costs less than $2 per serving (from 2006 estimates).
- 1 lb sirloin steak (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning (spicy flavor)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 small vidalia onion (sliced thin)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth (low fat and low sodium)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 lb ditalini (or other long tubular pasta)
- 2 zucchini (diced into 1/4 inch cubes)
- 2 Italian tomatoes (diced)
- basil (to taste)
- Cut steak into 1-inch cubes.
- Season with the spicy steak seasoning.
- In large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add steak and cook until browned all over (approximately 3-5 minutes).
- Remove steak to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add and heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet.
- Add thinly sliced onion and minced cloves of garlic - saute 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and cover skillet.
- Simmer for 8 minutes - stirring often.
- Add thickly diced (1/4 inch) zucchini and cook covered until zucchini is crisp-tender (approximately 6-8 minutes).
- Return steak to skillet and add diced tomatoes.
- Heat everything through for 1 minute.
- Top with basil (to your taste) before serving.
A wonderful, simple dish - makes a lot and filling too! I made just as specified and we really enjoyed it. I added the basil (plenty of it!) when I added the meat and tomatoes back into the mixture. I think this would be great with ground beef as well. A great go-to dish that I will use often - thanks for sharing!
Tasty recipe. Made some slight changes by adding 1 extra garlic clove & cut back the broth & tomato sauce abit. I also find 8 oz of pasta too much for 4 servings so I cut that back to 5 oz. We found the flavour, consistancy & portions were perfect for us, thanks for sharing.
This was tasty and easy. I used all purpose ground meat mix and put everything in, but tomatoes, when the noodles went in and let the broth reduce down. Reminded me of hamburger helper but vegged up and so much more tasty. Thank you!