Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my personal favorite everyday, day off, soup. Excellent with a salad.
- 2 (19 ounce) cans Campbell's beef and barley soup
- 2 tablespoons wild rice
- 1 tablespoon dried vegetable flakes
- 1 stalk finely diced celery or 3 pinches celery seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley, if you have it (I don't care for dried parsley)
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 pinches salt
- black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- Add all ingredients, except the Worcestershire sauce (add it later), to a saucepan.
- Add 2 & 1/2 soup cans of water.
- Bring to a full roiling boil.
- Stir it well, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 2 & 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaves after 2 hours. It takes that long for the wild rice.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve with warm bread, and butter.
- Also excellent with simply crushed, saltine crackers.