2 hrs 20 mins
This soup is best prepared in two installments. Make the broth one day, refrigerate overnight and remove any fat. Add the sautéed vegetables and orzo the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 1 onion, unpeeled, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb mushroom, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/4 cup orzo pasta
- 1Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large heavy saucepan.
- 2Brown the beef; add the onion and brown lightly on the cut side.
- 3Add the bay leaf and water.
- 4Heat over medium heat until almost boiling.
- 5For a clearer broth, do not let boil.
- 6Cook, uncovered, at a gentle simmer for 2 hours.
- 7Strain broth through a sieve lined with dampened paper towels.
- 8Chill overnight and finish soup next day or continue with recipe.
- 9Pull meat into strings; set aside.
- 10Heat the remaining oil in saucepan.
- 11Add chopped onion, celery and carrot.
- 12Sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- 13Stir in garlic, sauté 1 minute more.
- 14Add the mushrooms, sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- 15Season with salt and pepper.
- 16Add the shredded meat and broth to the sautéed vegetables; stir in parsley, frozen vegetables and orzo.
- 17Heat to boiling.
- 18Simmer, uncovered, until orzo is tender, about 15 minutes.
- 19Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Mushroom Soup With Orzo
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.0
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 114.4 mg
- Sodium 125.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 43.0 g