Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very tasty, easy, cheap meal to prepare. I love it for a quicky meal. Very good way to use rice.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (I use 1 box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mix)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- Spread the rice in bottom of a 3-quart casserole dish. If using Uncle Ben's, sprinkle the seasonings on top.
- Brown the ground beef and onion; drain.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, salt and pepper to the ground beef in a large bowl; stir.
- Spread over rice in dish.
- Pour the chicken broth over the mixture; cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- When done, dot with butter and mix in gently.
Easy and very good! However, the recipe made allot more than can fit in one casserole dish, I had to use two casserole dishes. I used short grain Japanese rice.
This is a great comforting casserole. It reminded me of Bierocks which we love but a lot easier than making the dumplings. This is a winner, Rose of Sharon, can't wait to make it again.
I had some leftover brown rice pilaf so I used that and mixed with the cabbage/beef mixture plus the chicken broth. Forgot the butter but everyone loved it anyways.