Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Crescent rolls, Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage, onions, peppers, salsa and two types of cheese make this a favorite breakfast or brunch dish-- with a Southwest flair! Can be made ahead. Serve warm or at room temperature, accompanied with sour cream and salsa or picante sauce. Deelish!
- 1 (8 ounce) can crescent rolls
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage (Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Sausage)
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced green chili peppers
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, snipped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 -8 eggs
- sour cream, to serve
- salsa, to serve (or picante sauce)
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Unroll the rolls and press into bottom of baking dish, sealing perforations and coming halfway up the sides to form a crust.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat, until browned. Add the onions and green chile peppers, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the salsa and garlic powder, and cook, stirring, for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour sausage mixture over the rolls.
- In a large bowl, stir together the two cheeses with the green onions and the cilantro; sprinkle evenly over the sausage.
- At this point you may continue, or cover & refrigerate casserole overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with the salt and black pepper; and pour over the top of the casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes; remove cover and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature, accompanied with sour cream and salsa or picante sauce.
This is a go-to favorite. It can be tailored to your taste modifying the spice/heat by varying hot or mild sausage, salsa, chilies. A step above the usual breakfast casserole.