Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Greek vegetable dish
- 3 cups white beans, dried
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- wine vinegar
- Place beans in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer covered 2 to 3 hours, until just tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add onion, and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, tomato sauce, celery, carrot, bay leaf, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer 5 minutes. (If sauce is too thick, add a little water.).
- Add beans to sauce and simmer covered about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Serve hot or cold with a cruet of wine vinegar.