Recipe by dicentra
From my favorite chef, Rachael Ray. Yum-O! A great combination of flavors. Don’t omit the nutmeg. It is the best part. You can also try this with other greens; spinach, kale, arugula… Add sliced mushrooms with the sautéed onions if you’d like. Grate some Parmesan cheese over the top and serve with crusty bread.
Top Review by fayemcmillan
I have not tried this exact version. but a low fat alternative that I use for thi9s soup is using 1 T of olive oil, omitting the bacon, using kale rather than escarole, and cannellini beans, including the broth from the can. Just another option and although extremely low fat, it has wonderful flavor.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta or 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 head escarole, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- 16 ounces water
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
Directions See How It's Made
- Over med-high heat, sauté the pancetta in the oil. Add the onions, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Start wilting the greens into the pan; adding a little at a time. Once all of the greens are in the pan, add the nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock, water and beans and bring the soup to a boil. Bring back down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve.