Recipe by Miss Annie in Indy
A great vegetarian recipe from Dr. Andrew Weil. Tasty and good for you too. This could also be used as a filling with lettuce and veggies for a pita sandwich. Dr. Weil does not have it listed in his recipe but I like a dash or two of hot sauce and some red pepper flakes added to my dip.
- 2 cups cooked cannellini (if you're using canned beans be sure to drain and rinse) or 2 cups pinto beans (if you're using canned beans be sure to drain and rinse) or 2 cups great northern beans (if you're using canned beans be sure to drain and rinse)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I use 1 or 2 teaspoons of oil and use a tablespoon of bean juice if needed to thin)
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (I prefer 2)
- 2 scallions, trimmed and minced
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans, olive oil, horseradish and scallions in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, adding a little water if necessary.
- Taste and season accordingly.
- Transfer to serving bowl.
- Serve with pita wedges, veggies or crackers of choice.
- Time to make does not include cooking beans.