Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from "Family Circle" or "Woman's Day" magazine, 2005. Excellent dish for a chilly day! Warms you up inside!
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 tablespoons sour cream
- In a large, heavy pot, sauté onion in oil over medium-low heat for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until onion is tender. Add chili powder and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and 2 cups water.
- Gently stir in beans. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Add corn; simmer an additional 10 minutes. Cook rice following package directions, adding salt.
- To serve, divide rice among 8 plates.
- Top each with chili, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
- *** I added some jalapeno peppers for a little "zip" of taste. Black olives would also be a great topper as well. Make it your own -- add whatever you like as a topper.