Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
The recipe for charred corn came out of Kate Heyhoe's book, Macho Nachos. I second the author's opinion that "charred corn gives nachos a wonderfully smoky flavor and a visually rustic appeal." For even tastier nachos, make Homemade Tortilla Chips (#4378) using either flour or corn tortillas. It's truly worth the extra time to make the nachos using these homemade chips. I like to really pile on vegetarian or fat-free refried beans for a hefty nacho--no wimpy nachos! The homemade chips seem thicker & stronger than many grocery store chips, so they can hold plenty of ingredients without breaking.
- 12 tortilla chips (corn or flour)
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 1⁄2-2 ounces grated cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2-2 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon other vegetable oil
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn (can also use 1 3/4 cups fresh or thawed frozen kernels, rinsed & well-drained)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- adobo seasoning (optional) or salt (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves
- jalapeno (optional)
- Beforehand and if desired, make Homemade Tortilla Chips (#4328), seasoning them lightly before baking with Adobo or salt, if desired.
- Beforehand, prepare charred corn as follows: warm 1 tsp oil in large skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat. When hot, dump in onion & corn. Stir to mix, then cook in single undisturbed layer for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly charred. Stir again & cook in a single layer for another 3 minutes, or until the kernels range from golden to charred. Season lightly with Adobo or salt if desired. Let cool slightly before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make nachos, assemble as follows: first, apply a generous, flat layer of refried beans to each tortilla chip.
- Next, spoon on some charred corn, pressing it gently into the refried beans to help it adhere.
- Lightly sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake nachos for 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese is melted & bubbly.
- Garnish nachos with jalapenos if desired & plenty of cilantro leaves.