Recipe by Lene
This hearty stew is full of goodness, yet it is easy to make and tastes terrific. The beauty of a one pot meal is not just less washing up, but also the fact that all the vitamans and minerals are kept in the sauce. This is the ideal comfort food.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 900 g potatoes, scrubbed and rougly chopped
- 4 tablespoons curry paste
- 1 1⁄4 liters vegetable stock
- 900 g butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 800 g black-eyed peas, drained
- 4 tomatoes, cut into 6 wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the cumin and mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute. When they begin to splutter and pop, add the onion, garlic and chilli and cook for 3-4 minutes ubtil softened.
- Stir in the potatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the curry paste and vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the butternut and simmer for a further 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add the black eyed beans and tomatoes and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste.
- Divide the stew between individual dishes, sprinkle over chopped coriander and serve with lemon wedges.