Recipe by MissChif
This recipe is from the Company's Coming Diabetic cookbook. It is one of my favourite soups to make and everyone that tries it gives it the thumbs up. I usually add a couple more cups of water and a lot more back bacon. It is also good with 2 cans of beans in tomato sauce if you don't have a can of mixed beans.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 ounces diced back bacon (sometimes called Canadian Bacon)
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (19 ounce) canmixed beans (drained and rinsed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the oil to a dutch oven and once heated up add the onion, celery, garlic, and back bacon. Cook and stir until the celery starts to get soft.
- Add the water, vegetable bouillion, carrot, potato and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low but keep the soup at a very gentle boil for about 20 minutes or until the carrot and potato are soft.
- Add both cans of beans and simmer for another 15 minutes.