Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 453.59 g dry navy beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1419.54 ml water
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 slice bacon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 4.92 ml crushed dried parsley
- Place beans in a large pot, cover with water and soak overnight; drain and rinse.
- Add water, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp; remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Set aside.
- Add onions and bell pepper to pan drippings; sauté until tender.
- Add to beans along with carrots.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add tomato sauce and parsley.
- Cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving with reserved bacon crumbled on top.
Loved the soup! I changed it a bit. I used canned beans and put in a hole package of uncooked bacon. Then just let it simmer.