1 hr 20 mins
From the Dirty South Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First press the water out of the tofu. Cut the tofu into big pieces and place on a baking sheet, or flat surface. Put a heavy weight on top of the tofu (like a pot fill of cans of vegetables) and let the water drain out of the tofu for about 20 minutes.
- 2While the tofu is draining, chop all the vegetables and garlic.
- 3Put in a pot with some oil or margarine, add the spices and cook until onions are soft.
- 4Add the BBQ sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, some ketchup and soy sauce (and the worcestershire, if you have it).
- 5Cook this over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- 6When tofu is drained, pat dry.
- 7Then cut into rib sized pieces and fry in a little oil until golden brown.
- 8Dry off the excess oil, place tofu in a baking pan and pour sauce on top, spreading to cover all the tofu.
- 9Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
- 10After you take this out of the oven, let it sit for a while so the sauce will thicken.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Tofu (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.8
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1246.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 30.8 g
- Protein 22.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegan worcestershire sauce