Recipe by Ilysse
This is from the website vegetariansrecipes.org. It is a simple recipe but very tasty. Serve over rice (we like it on jasmine rice) or in buns. This is a great alternative for your veg or vegan friends if you are having a southern BBQ party. I've changed it slightly but not too much.
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 16 ounces barbecue sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- spike seasoning (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute vegetables in the vegetable oil until the onion is soft and starting to color and the peppers are starting to brown or to your desired level of doneness.
- Remove the veg from the pan and add a little more oil and the tofu. Season with the spike seasoning if desired.
- Cook until it is brown on all sides.
- Return the veg to the pan and add the garlic. I like to add it here so it doesn't burn. Cook and stir until it starts to color slightly.
- Add the BBQ sauce and 1/2 the water; stir well.
- I like to hold back on adding all the water until it all starts sticking to the bottom and I feel like I need it to help keep it moving.
- You want to cook it until the sauce thickens and reduces a little.