Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is really really good. It is so easy but looks and tastes like you really know what your doing in the kitchen. Perfect to take for get togethers or a nice pizza alternative. You can use any kind of cheese you like, but I prefer cheddar.
- 1 medium granny smith apple, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 (13 7/8 ounce) canrefrigerated classic prepared pizza crust
- 1 cup refrigerated honey hickory barbecue sauce with shredded chicken (from 18-oz. container)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Heat oven to 425°F; spray large cookie sheet and 10-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add apple and onion to skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apple is tender and onion is translucent. Stir in brown sugar. Cook and stir an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Unroll dough; place on sprayed cookie sheet. Starting at center, press out dough into 15x10-inch rectangle. Place provolone cheese slices in 5-inch-wide strip down center of dough. Spoon barbecue sauce with shredded chicken over cheese. Layer apple-onion mixture over chicken. Arrange Cheddar cheese blend slices evenly over apple-onion mixture.
- With scissors or sharp knife, make cuts 1 inch apart on long sides of dough rectangle to within 1/2 inch of filling. Alternately cross strips diagonally over filling; turn ends under and press to seal. Brush beaten egg white over top.
- Bake at 425°F for 11 to 15 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Remove from cookie sheet; cut into crosswise slices.
This was a really nice presentation and easy to make. I made my own whole wheat pizza dough to use which worked out great. I think I would haev like to use my own BBQ chicken or pork though. I felt like the pre made stuff over powered the onions and apples, but that is just an opinion. Overall a great recipe that is a nice change form the usual :) Made for PAC fall 09.