Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are wonderful! Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray.
Make and share this BBQ Chicken Burgers With Cole Slaw recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 1 small red onion, 1/2 finely chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, eyeball it
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon McCormick grill seasoning, a palm full
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided, eyeball it
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 cups cabbage coleslaw blend
- salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add chopped onions, garlic and tomato paste and sweat them for 5 minutes to soften and sweeten.
- Sprinkle in sugar and remove from heat. Cool in a bowl for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and hot sauce to a bowl and combine. Add chicken to the bowl then grill seasoning and combine the burgers well to evenly distribute the flavors.
- Form 4 patties.
- Heat 1 T. oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties 6 miutes on each side.
- Combine the honey, lemon juice, and remaining oil in a bowl. Add relish, cabbage mix and sliced onions and season with salt and pepper. Toss the slaw to coat and reserve.
- Serve burgers on buns topped with slaw.
I didn't use coleslaw on these, so that may have helped with the flavor, because I did feel that although this recipe calls for a ton of ingredients to be added to the burgers, they did not seem to have enough flavor. I would have loved a more BBQ flavor and perhaps more brown sugar. I'm sure I will try them again and will play around a bit with the amounts of each ingredient. It's a great recipe, but I think it just needs to be tweaked a little hear and there.