Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are wonderful! Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray.
Make and share this BBQ Chicken Burgers With Cole Slaw recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 1 small red onion, 1/2 finely chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, eyeball it
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon McCormick grill seasoning, a palm full
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided, eyeball it
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 cups cabbage coleslaw blend
- salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add chopped onions, garlic and tomato paste and sweat them for 5 minutes to soften and sweeten.
- Sprinkle in sugar and remove from heat. Cool in a bowl for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and hot sauce to a bowl and combine. Add chicken to the bowl then grill seasoning and combine the burgers well to evenly distribute the flavors.
- Form 4 patties.
- Heat 1 T. oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties 6 miutes on each side.
- Combine the honey, lemon juice, and remaining oil in a bowl. Add relish, cabbage mix and sliced onions and season with salt and pepper. Toss the slaw to coat and reserve.
- Serve burgers on buns topped with slaw.
I didn't use coleslaw on these, so that may have helped with the flavor, because I did feel that although this recipe calls for a ton of ingredients to be added to the burgers, they did not seem to have enough flavor. I would have loved a more BBQ flavor and perhaps more brown sugar. I'm sure I will try them again and will play around a bit with the amounts of each ingredient. It's a great recipe, but I think it just needs to be tweaked a little hear and there.