Recipe by Chelebelle
I have had this recipe for years. Every time I go home to visit my family I have to make this. It takes several hours to make, but it is well worth it. It also freezes well if you have any leftovers. Serve with steamed rice.
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen okra, thawed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and cut in half
- 1 lb crabmeat, cleaned
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine stock, bay leaves, red pepper, ham and 2 teaspoons salt in large pot. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to medium. Cover and simmer 45 minute.
- Meanwhile, make roux by heating bacon drippings in skillet over medium heat. Add flour. Stir until absorbed. Do not let it burn. Stir constantly until flour is light brown.
- Add oil, okra, onions, garlic, green pepper. Sauté until tender. Add tomatoes. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add sautéed vegetables to beef stock. Add 1 tsp salt, thyme, catsup, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook over low heat for one hour.
- Add shrimp, crabmeat and green onions. Cook 40 minutes. Add gumbo file during last 30 minutes. Serve with rice.