Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Somebody already posted a recipe for basturma, but this one's a lot different. Cook time includes time to marinate.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely cut or 1 tablespoon crumbled dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 lbs filet of beef or 2 lbs boneless sirloin, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 -8 scallions, cut into 4 inch long pieces,washed thoroughly and dried
- 1 lemon, quartered
- fresh coriander or parsley sprig
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion, basil, salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Add the meat and toss it in the marinade to coat it thoroughly, then marinate at room temperature for 5-6 hours, tossing again every hour or so to keep the cubes moist.
- Light a layer of coals in a charcoal broiler and burn until a white ash appears on the surface, or preheat your kitchen broiler to its highest point.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and string them on 4 long skewers, pressing them firmly together.
- Broil 4" from the source of the heat, turning the skewers occasionally, until the meat is done to your taste (For rare allow about 10 minutes. Well done will take about 15).
- Slide the meat off onto individual plates and garnish with scallions, lemon, and coriander or parsley.
Love this! I made this tonight, so happy! This morning I did step one and placed it in the fridge until I got home (8 hours later). The only thing I did different was not measuring the amount of vinegar. Since I wouldn't be around to give it a shake I made sure that all the meat was at least touching the vinegar so I used a little more than listed. (actually I used more beef than listed too) I let it sit at room temp while I got the grill going and my potatoes going. (I served this with Moldavian Potato, Feta and Scallion Salad #96274, minus the feta, and steamed green beans) We grilled them until they were perfectly rare and I served them without garnishing. The meat was so tender and the taste was amazing. A little sweet, but not too much. Even my fiance LOVED it and he hates it when I marinate steak. This is going into the rotation. Easy and so good. I would even make this for company. Thank you so much for a great recipe. If I could give it more stars I would.