6 hrs 15 mins
Somebody already posted a recipe for basturma, but this one's a lot different. Cook time includes time to marinate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup onion, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely cut or 1 tablespoon crumbled dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 lbs filet of beef or 2 lbs boneless sirloin, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion, basil, salt, pepper and vinegar.
- 2Add the meat and toss it in the marinade to coat it thoroughly, then marinate at room temperature for 5-6 hours, tossing again every hour or so to keep the cubes moist.
- 3Light a layer of coals in a charcoal broiler and burn until a white ash appears on the surface, or preheat your kitchen broiler to its highest point.
- 4Remove the meat from the marinade and string them on 4 long skewers, pressing them firmly together.
- 5Broil 4" from the source of the heat, turning the skewers occasionally, until the meat is done to your taste (For rare allow about 10 minutes. Well done will take about 15).
- 6Slide the meat off onto individual plates and garnish with scallions, lemon, and coriander or parsley.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basturma (russian Marinated Skewered Beef)
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 677.1
- Calories from Fat 485
- Total Fat 53.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 159.2 mg
- Sodium 436.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 41.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef