Prep 15 mins
Cook 49 mins
- Rinse then soak rice for 10 minutes to 30 depending on quality.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the drained soaked rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Bring water and stock if using to a boil add sea salt to taste add rice, bring back to a boil and boil exactly 8 minutes, drain.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter and toss in the sliced potatoes and sea salt to taste.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot with a tight-fitting cover, and low rim, arrange the potato slices, overlapping in 2 layers covering the bottom of the pot (using all of the butter they were tossed in).
- Sprinkle with the garlic.
- Evenly spoon the half-cooked rice on top of the potatoes and garlic, and spoon the remaining melted butter over the rice.
- Cover the pot and cook over medium low heat or to brown potatoes slightly, then turn heat down and cook for 40 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Removing properly can come with practice but it helps to dip the pot in cold water for 30 seconds making sure not to get water in the pot! Then flip --.
Dear Ummi, thanks a lot for your recipe. Your recipes are always top!
I followed the instruction and the rice came out perfect. It was not so easy to remove the potatoes from the top, but finally they came out perfect: brown and not burned!
Really very yammi a perfect side dish that can be combinated with a lot of dishes. I served this with tandoori chicken and rasted broccoli.