1/1 Photo of Basmati Rice With Carrots, Raisins and Spices (Kabli)
2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Rice is the centerpiece of an Afghan party, and people always pay attention to see that it is cooked properly and that there is plenty. This dish is traditionally made with lamb, but because many customers at catering events are vegetarian, it has been successfully adapted to a vegetarian dish. I at least double the spice amounts but have posted the original quantities.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse rice under running water until water is clear.
- 2In large bowl, cover rice with water; soak for 1 hour, drain.
- 3Add salt to large pot of boiling water; add rice.
- 4Cover and simmer until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5Drain, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) cooking liquid; set liquid aside.
- 6Pour rice into large Dutch oven.
- 7In skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat.
- 8Add sugar; stir until dissolved.
- 9Add reserved cooking liquid; bring to boil.
- 10Slowly pour over rice, stirring to coat.
- 11Stir in cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and pepper.
- 12Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven until water is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200°F (100°C); bake, covered, for 1 hour.
- 13Spoon into serving dish, mounding attractively.
- 14Meanwhile, peel and cut carrots into very thin strips or grate coarsely.
- 15In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; saute carrots and raisins until tender, about 2 minutes.
- 16Spoon over rice.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basmati Rice With Carrots, Raisins and Spices (Kabli)
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.7
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 898.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g