Recipe by threeovens
This green leaf lettuce salad is tossed with a lemon vinaigrette and served with bread sticks made from a baguette. For a complete meal, serve with chicken or fish that has been drizzled with the lemon vinaigrette.
Top Review by WiGal
Lemony zing with a refreshing salad combination and crispy breadsticks. Delicious! Love your suggestion of using the rest of the vinaigrette with fish. Thank you Ice Cool Kitty for sharing.
For the Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, finely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For the Bread Sticks
- 1 small baguette or 1 French roll
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
For the Salad
- 6 cups green leaf lettuce, torn (1 small head)
- 3 cups fresh basil, torn
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved or 2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, shaved
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small screw-top jar; shake to combine.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and garlic for the bread sticks; split baguette lengthwise and brush olive oil/garlic mixture on cut sides of the bread.
- Cut the each bread into 3 or 4 breadsticks and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until toasted, 3 to 5 minutes; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce and basil, layer in tomatoes, pine nuts, and cheese; serve with vinaigrette and bread sticks.