Recipe by JAK
This is a vegetarian knock-off of an amazing version of Basil Chicken someone made for me. The colours are breath-taking. I adopted her main ideas for my Basil Squash, but my version is so much lower-fat and healthier!
- 15 ounces canned beets, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup summer squash, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in stainless steel pot over high heat.
- Add garlic and jalapeno, stir until garlic begins to brown.
- Add soy sauce, beets, squash and salt.
- Add a dash of water, just to keep things moist.
- Stir occasionally, until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion, stir until onion softens slightly.
- Add basil, stir until wilted, about 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately, over rice if you like.