Not your ordinary weeknight chicken, but after marinating, the dish is ready in about 1/2 hour! Make it the night before and you have a quick, delicious treat for dinner. The flavor will have you filling your plate again and again.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken (I use breasts or thighs)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 jalapenos
- 2 packages macadamia nuts (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 (6 ounce) containers plain yogurt
- 1 bunch basil, stems removed
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 -2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- Put ginger, garlic and peppers into a food processor and process til smooth.
- Add macadamia nuts and continue to process.
- Add oil, lime juice yogurt, basil, cilantro and spices and process again until smooth.
- Put the chicken in a medium bowl, and add the mixture, stirring to coat all pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate chicken for 12 hours.
- This step is not necessarily required (I have made it after marinating for only 1/2 hour, but the flavor is much better if you do let it marinate).
- Heat a bit of oil (2 tbls) in a wok, or deep dish fry pan.
- Add chicken and its marinade to pan and cook thoroughly, stirring frequently, until marinade sticks to chicken.
- This will take about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour.
- The mixture will look soupy at first, and then begin to thicken up as the sauce reduces.
- I like a little heat, so I also add a little chili oil to the dish.
- Serve with steamed jasmine or basmati rice.