Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful way to use fresh basil and tomato from the garden and a steak on the grill. You might not have had a vegetable relish on steak before and neither had my husband or myself. We were delighted with the flavor mixed with the steak. You'll need a way to saute the vegetables on the grill, such as a grilling basket. Skewers are also an alternative. Adapted from Food and Wine.
- 4 -5 fresh button mushrooms, cut into slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- olive oil, for basting
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Microwave the onion slices with two tablespoons of water for about two minutes.
- Saute the minced garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place vegetables in grilling basket and baste with olive oil.
- Grill mushrooms, onion, and tomatoes until tender, turning once (About 10 minutes for mushrooms, 15 minutes for onion, and 7 minutes for tomatoes).
- Remove the vegetables as they are done.
- Cut cooked onion and tomatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Stir together in a medium bowl the basil, garlic, the 2 tablespoons olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and all vegetables.
- Spoon warm over steaks.