Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This basic chocolate cake uses less sugar, and extra cocoa. The coffee adds depth to the flavour. I left out extra oil in favour of applesauce, and chose whole-wheat flour for a more healthy cake, as well.
- 709.77 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml cocoa
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 177.44 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 236.59 ml skim milk
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 236.59 ml strong coffee, hot
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients, coffee last, mixing well.
- Do not over-mix!
- Bake in pan of choice for 35-40 minutes.
- You may substitute white flour for whole wheat flour for a lighter, less healthy version.
Very rich and surprisingly moist for being so low in fat. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a 8" round pan. It really rose quite high! I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder for an even richer flavor. Not sure what the lime juice is for, since it isn't tasted, but maybe it adds some acid to the mix? I used whole wheat pastry flour for a lighter texture. I added 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts also. Served with a dollop of nonfat, no sugar added vanilla yogurt. Made for Spring 2010 PAC.