Recipe by Dish with Tish
I use this recipe when I plan on using the meat for soups, tacos, salads, etc. Great to use the carcass to make stock afterwards.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Wonderful, basic, but truly delish roast chicken recipe. Love the onions on the bottom of the pan, and the garlic and lemon inside the cavity. I covered the breast area the last 20 minutes of roasting. Thank you so much for your recipe! Made for PAC - 2014
- 1 (4 -6 lb) whole free-range chicken
- 1 small lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil or 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced (medium)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Allow chicken to come to room temperature.
- Rinse chicken inside and out, removing giblets (set aside for stock later).
- Pat dry with paper towels, tie wing tips together with twine.
- Layer onions in the bottom of shallow roasting pan.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper inside and out.
- Stuff lemon and garlic inside the cavity.
- Massage canola oil or butter on top of chicken.
- Roast in middle rack of oven 75-90 mins, until golden brown and internal temp is 180 or above.
- Let rest for 30 mins before cutting into.
- Shred meat with 2 forks and set aside.