Originally from the Fanny Farmer Baking Book. I use it for my Lemon Meringue and Key Lime Pies. I don't usually add the cinnamon but it is an option.
- Combine cracker crumbs and sugar in a bowl, then add the butter and optional cinnamon.
- Stir with a fork until crumbs are moistened.
- Empty the mixture in the pie plate, then pat and press mixture evenly all around the bottom and sides of the plate.
- Before filling, either bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes or chill for about an hour.
- (You simply want the crust to be firm and both baking and chilling will do that, although I prefer baking.).
Very basic and easy and VERY tasty. I didn't use the cinnamon, since I was filling it with lemon. I used it in a removable bottom tart pan and used the baked method. Worked great! Made for TOP FAVORITES of 2009 COOKBOOKS TAG GAME.
Worked perfectly. I chose to bake the crust as the method of getting it to set up. I did not add the optional cinnamon. I used this as the crust for a key lime pie.
Made as the crust for a key lime pie (baby sis recipe not on Zaar), I skipped the cinnamon as I did not see that flavor as compatible. I used my magic bullet mini-chopper unit to crush the graham crackers that come in rd cookie form here, my Pampered Chef wooden mini-tart shaper to press the crust into the pie plate & the pre-bake method to set the crust as you suggested. Easy-peasy w/an ideal outcome. Thx for sharing this useful recipe w/us. :-)