Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My adaptation of a Mollie Katzen recipe. Very quick and easy, and well liked by my 2 year old. Good recipe to pad out a quick meal.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup yogurt or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons honey or 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 inch square pan with oil.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients[including the sugar or honey] separately.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry just enough to thoroughly combine.
- Spread into the greased tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the centre is firm to the touch.
Very moist and delicious and so easy to make. I tripled the recipe and used it to make my cornbread stuffing.
I doubled the recipe - cooking time was 28 minutes. It's a good, basic recipe to which I added 1/4 tsp. cardamom seeds, just enough for the barest hint of flavor, but wonderful aroma
This bread was super easy to put together but I found it lacking something. Maybe adding salt and butter would help. I used the 1 c. yogurt and 3 TB sugar. I thought the sweetness was just right. The only change I made was to cook it in a 10 inch cast iron skillet for 18 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Perfect consistency. I will definitely make this again and I'm sure the added salt/butter will make a big difference. Thanks for sharing your recipe!