Recipe by Nana Lee
From Saad Fayed, I love basbousa with coffee after a good meal. They are just enough to add that extra "umpf" to a meal. The syrup is not too sugary, but sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth. Cooling period of 20 minutes not included.
Top Review by chef FIFI
10 star basboosa.Some like a drier grittier basboosa and some like a yummy moist cakey basboosa, well this is it.I have tried a recipe that called for using yogurt and it was a sour flop. This cake was very easy to make. I added a bit orange blossom water into the batter and the syrup. I also made a bit extra syrup because I like my middle eastern cakes sweet. I also reduced the semolina to 1 3/4 cup and added 1/4 shredded coconut. I did however have to increase the baking time quite a bit to approx 40 minutes. I will use this recipe over and over in the future. Thanks for the recipe.
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole milk
- blanched almond halve
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare syrup first.
- Dissolve sugar inwater in a medium saucepan.
- Add lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Once the syrup begins to boil, add in honey.
- Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9x12 baking dish.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Slowly add to butter and egg mixture.
- Stir in milk.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon.
- Take a butter knife and make diagonal lines from left to right and complete to make diamond shapes.
- Place an almond in the center of each diamond.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over cake until no more can be absorbed.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of whipped cream.