Basboosa - Easy Semolina Cake
This has been a favorite dessert in many Middle Eastern and North African countries- this is my mother's recipe. It's very simple and easy to remember.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 lemons or 1/2 lime
- 1 cinnamon stick
First make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together flour, sugar, and baking powder very well in large bowl.
- Melt butter, add into mixture.
- Add yogurt into the mixture, mix well.
- Add eggs, mix well again.
- Beat mixture for 2 minutes til there are no lumps.
- Pour into 9 X 13 inch baking pan brushed with very little oil.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 45 minutes.
While the cake bakes, prepare the syrup:
- Mix 3 cups sugar & one cup water in a pot, put on stove on high heat.
- Add in vanilla and cinnamon stick. Stir well.
- Squeeze half lemon into mixture, drop the lemon itself in there after squeezing.
- Mix well, let boil for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- After cake is a golden color (after about 45 mins), remove from oven, and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup onto the whole cake, let cool. Cut into as many pieces as you like.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Tried this recipe today. It was really really good. I added the ingredients in step-by-step, and fully whisked them before adding the next ingredient. I also let the batter sit for a good 30 minutes before baking. As for the syrup, I only used 3/4 cup sugar and water. Added some fresh lemon juice and a tiny bit of vanilla extract. I think the baking time was short (maybe 25-35 minutes). Overall, great recipe and will definitely keep it. Thank you for posting this recipe!