Basboosa - Suji Cake (Arabic Semolina Cake)
- Ready In:
30-40 small squares
For the syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium lime, zest of
- 1 medium lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon rose essence or 1 teaspoon rose water
- 3 teaspoons honey
for the cake
- 3 cups semolina cream of wheat
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium lemons or 1 medium lime, which the peel was used for the syrup
- 1 cup soured milk, squeeze the lime or 1 cup lemon, into 1 cup of milk to make this
- 16 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- whole almond, for garnishing
- unsalted pistachios, for garnishing
For the syrup:
- put all the ingredients together except for the rose water in a pot and bring to a boil.when it starts to boil, put in the rose water and let boil.it should look like syrup but should not be thick.don't let it reduce too much.let it sit while the cake is baking.
for the cake:
- while the syrup is put to boil, start the mixture of the cake.mix butter and sugar together(before doing this, make ure butter is very soft.cutting it up in small cubes always help).do not use a hand mixer or a cake mixer (this causes it to be too airy and we don't want this) but, use a fork or a potato masher.the butter and sugar does not need to be melted into each other.
- now add the eggs and the dried ingredients to this.lastly, add in the soured milk.mix into the mixture and pour into a buttered dish.it should only be poured 1 inch in height.
- put into oven at 325 degrees for 20 mins, then take out and cut into squares depending on the sizes you want and place back into oven for 5 - 10 mins.take out and pour sugar syrup all over the cake,making sure that the whole cake gets enough syrup.let cool and eat.
- the pistachios can be crushed and sprinkled over entire cake and an almond goes on each square.
- nb:it tastes alot better the next day so this can be made a day ahead.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I took this to a scripture study group when we were discussing Petra. It got rave reviews and several requests for the recipe. My DH was almost comical: I found him loading up a plate and he told me, "I'm taking some home FOR ME!!" I made exactly as written, even down to the rose water. I couldn't find unsalted pistachios, so I used sliced almonds instead. Thank you starbon, great recipe!
I made it the day it was posted because my daughter's day care was having a Foods Around the World Day. I'm Italian, but Italian food was already covered. I managed to grab a piece before all the little munchkins got to it and I think I may have to make it again today for my DH and I to devour. It 's just perfectly sweet and flavourful. I will make this regularly.