This is a wonderful take on the traditional borscht and should gladden any palate. The little mushroom dumplings are fabulous. Time does not include overnight sitting
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the soup
- 1 kg beetroot, peeled and sliced
- 200 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 100 g parsley roots, sliced
- 200 g celery, sliced
- 120 g apples, quartered and core removed
- 1 1/2 liters water
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 teaspoons whole allspice (should be pimento leaves but zaar doesnt know it)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
For the uszka filling
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 20 g onions, finely chopped
- 40 g dried mushrooms, soaked in a little hot water
For the uszka dough
- 1For the soup: put the beetroot, carrots, parsley roots, celery and apples in a large pan and pour over 1.5 litres water, or enough to cover. Add the garlic cloves, pimento leaves and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- 2Simmer the soup for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat. Season with the vinegar, marjoram, salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Cool and leave overnight.
- 3The next day, strain the soup through muslin to get a clear broth. Reheat before serving.
- 4For the uszka filling: melt a knob of butter in a frying pan and fry the onion until softened. Strain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Chop them finely and add to the frying pan along with the soaking liquid. Cook, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated. Season.
- 5For the uszka dough: stir the hot water into the flour then mix in the egg. Season with salt and pepper. Knead the dough until smooth, then roll out very thin.
- 6Cut the dough into 5cm squares. Place a small amount of the filling onto the squares of dough and fold over on the diagonal to form triangles. Seal the edges together. Wrap the triangles around your finger, sticking the 2 bottom tips together to form a ring.
- 7Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the mushroom parcels. When they float to the top, cook for 1 more minute, stirring continuously. Drain.
- 8Put uszka in a soup plate and then pour hot over the hot soup. Smacznego!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barszcz Z Uszkami (Beet Soup With Mushroom Pockets)
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.7
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 40.3 mg
- Sodium 215.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar