Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A vegan recipe, that my sister makes. You can sub almonds for the pine nuts if you prefer.This is a crockpot meal.
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canready to serve vegetable broth
- 4 medium green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted*
- Mix all ingredients except green onions and nuts in a 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours or until barley is tender, don't cook too long or barley will be gummy.
- Stir in green onion and nuts.
- *To toast nuts, bake uncovered in ungreased pan in 350F oven about 10 minutes, stir occasionally, until golden brown.
I made this recipe and it's wonderful! Very tasty and a real comfort food.
I LOVE this recipe. I've made it several times now. It's one of the few that I actually follow pretty closely, other than baking it at 350 for 1 hour, as I don't have a slow cooker (which works very well) and sometimes I top it with a little sharp cheddar (delicious). I plan to make it again soon!
This is a good recipe. I had to make it on top of the stove because of time constraints. It is easy and fast to put together. Thanks for the recipe.