Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I had to make a barley dish for a community dinner (90 people) and did not want the typical bland, gluey, sticky barley. Looked at various recipes, and asked various people for recommendations, and this is the result. NOTES BELOW FOR LARGE QUANTITY.
- Toast the barley. Put it in a dry pan on the stove, medium heat. As soon as some start to turn light brown (about 5 min.), stir constantly to keep them from burning! When all the barley is light brown, remove from heat.
- Chop the onions and garlic. Saute these, also the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Bring water and wine to a boil, stir in the onion soup mix.
- Stir in the sauteed mix and bring to a simmer again.
- Put in the barley. For best results, do not put in the barley too early.
- Cover and simmer 40-45 minutes -- WATCH OUT for burning on the bottom. Add a little more water if it is getting too dry. Barley will be a little chewy, but if you cook it until it's really soft that's when it gets sticky and glued into glop.
- QUANTITIES FOR 90 PEOPLE: 8 cups barley (3 1/2 boxes) , 8-10 onions, 6 lb mushrooms, 3 cups oil, 6 cups wine (2 bottles), 2 heads garlic, 9 quarts water, 1 1/4 cups onion soup mix, up to 1/2 cup salt.