Orzotto Con Zucca (Barley & Pumpkin Risotto)
photo by Annisette
- Ready In:
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan, add the barley and simmer until done, about 40 minutes. If you want you can add some chopped mushrooms to this for the last 5-10 minutes.
- Microwave, boil or roast the pumpkin until soft. I usually roast mine with a few sprigs of thyme for extra flavour.
- Put the cooked pumpkin together with the butter into a blender and process to a puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the puree to the barley and season again with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving mix the parmesan into the 'risotto'.
- Serve hot with fresh crusty bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Mmmmmm, this is great comfort food! It is easy to make and tastes wonderful. I suspected I'd need less stock, so started off with about half the quantity and added more as the stock was absorbed; in the end I did use a bit less. However I was probably generous with the butter and cheese :-) (I used mature chedder) and served this with vegetarian sausages. Sylvie, I hope you get round to making this dish soon. We'll definately be having it again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi, I'm 31 and cooking and living in England. I was born in Germany and that's where I grew up and lived until I came to the UK to go to University in 1998. I never went back to live in Germany, even though all my family is still there.