Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
Another family favorite.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth (ready to serve)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup dried lentils
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, add oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute onions for 10 minutes or until clear.
- Add next 6 ingredients.
- Cook until red bell pepper is just softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add 5 cans of broth, tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley and lentils.
- Lower heat and simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until barley and lentils are tender; stirring occasionally.
- Add more broth to reach desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
I tried this soup out on my family, not really sure what kind of reaction I would get. We all need our cages rattled every now and again. They thought it was delicious and so did I. I went ahead and used the whole 6 oz. can of tomato paste and it gave the soup a stronger tomato flavor which we liked. It may have added to the thickness but we tend to like thicker soups as opposed to thin. This is a very hearty soup with well-balanced flavors that we will enjoy year round. Thanks Nurse Di.
This is a rich and delicous soup I could crave. I had to use a green pepper instead of red, didn't have one, but the rest was the same. Awesome, especially on these cold winter days.<br/>Thanks for the yummy recipe!
Wow, this was a winner and packed with flavor. I made this exactly as posted, using just the 5 cans of broth. I think the addition of the sun-dried tomatoes and red bell pepper really amped up the flavor. A healthy, hearty soup that is definitely a new favorite.