Recipe by ellie_
5 points plus /serving Recipe source: WW Power Foods Cookbook
Top Review by duonyte
Barley is such a great grain and using it in a salad as this is a nice way to show people that it's good for more than just soup. I cooked my barley in my rice cooker - my preferred way to cook most grains. I modified the instructions a bit by putting in the barley and veggies in the bowl and the dressing ingredients in a smaller one. I was a bit worried about the soy sauce so started with a teaspoon and eventually added 1 1//2 tsp. - I found that to be quite sufficiently salty. I added little water to make up the difference in volume. After tasting the salad, I felt it needed just a little something, so added two chopped scallions, which went very well with the remaining ingredients. This will be a nice addition to my lunch tomorrow.
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups frozen edamame, frozen and thawed
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, shredded
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and then add the barley. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water; drain again. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in remainder of the ingredients and toss to combine.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.