Recipe by Sharon123
I'm learning to cook with tempeh. This is marinated, then simmered in barbeque sauce, and can be served over rice or made into a sandwich with whole grain buns. Adapted from Vegetarian Times.
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 medium red bell peppers or 2 medium green bell peppers, sliced in strips
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 -2 tablespoon molasses
- 1 -2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, combine marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Place tempeh in a shallow bowl and pour marinade over it. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours and up to overnight, turning occasionally. Drain tempeh and reserve marinade. Cut tempeh into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Coat bottom of large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add marinade and all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper to skillet. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until mixture thickens, mashing cubes of tempeh slightly with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over rice or use as a sandwich filling in a bun. Enjoy!