2 hrs 9 mins
1 hr 19 mins
There are directions in here to make a reuben sandwich with this brisket. So yummy! NOTE: This is important! You make 2 batches of the WET INGREDIENTS---one batch gets mixed with the dry ingredients--the 2nd batch is used as the braising liquid. This was copied directly from happyhealthlonglife.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or low sodium tamari)
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons dates, paste I had date paste already made (or maple syrup, you can make your own by covering pitted madjool dates in soy or almond milk overnig)
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, fine minced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 1/2-4 cups vital wheat gluten flour (start with 3 1/2 cups(and add the last 1/2 cup if the mixture is still too wet to knead. You want it)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
My new version of No-Fat Crazy Creamy Chia Russian Dressing
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2For the wet batch(make twice- you'll need to mix this up twice, I know, it's a big pain:.
- 3Whisk all above ingredients well, then in a separate bowl mix the dry batch. You will be making 2 separate wet batches.
- 4Then mix dry batch separately.
- 5Once you have the wet and dry batches mixed separately and thoroughly, then mix both batches together(one wet and one dry).
- 6Knead for 3-5 minutes until it is all is mixed and elastic in texture, like a very firm dough. Add the reserved 1/2 cup of gluten if the mixture is too wet.
- 7With your hands, shape it into a loaf pressing to be no thicker than 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick.Now you¹re ready to bake it. I used a deep 9 X 13 inch pan (like a lasagna pan). There's a lot of braising liquid, so you need a pan that's deep enough so it doesn't spill into the oven.
- 8For the braising liquid, make another bowl of the wet batch liquid as listed above, and pour into a very large & deep baking/roasting pan--a 9 X 13 inch with deep sides. Place the seitan loaf in the center and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, flip it--very carefully, baste with liquid and continue to bake for 20 more minutes. I then needed to cook for an additional 20 minutes at 375 degrees--total 60 minutes. Then I lowered the oven to 325 degrees & finished baking for about 20 more minutes, until the braising liquid had thickened into a nice glaze.
- 9Here's what the Chef advised: Continue this process until most of the liquid has thickened up as a glaze and the seitan is firm to the touch. Allow it to sit and firm up before use.
- 10When it had cooled, I covered it in foil--and refrigerated it overnight to firm up. Then I cut it into 4 large pieces--to freeze what I wasn't going to use right away. It slices beautifully when it's frozen--and is just slightly defrosted.
- 11Makes delicious "bbq brisket" sandwiches--maybe add extra bbq sauce or some of the glaze & serve on a delicious bun. My family LOVED it as a Reuben, grilled with a panini press, with no-fat Russian dressing, sauerkraut, & a little Daiya mozzarella cheese---or with cole slaw, Daiya, & Russian dressing.
- 12Let me know how it turns out. Can use it for fajitas, stir-fries--etc.
- 13Healthy Librarian's Notes.
- 14The Reuben is best with real caraway-seeded deli rye, or TJ's or Alvarado Street Bakery's Caraway Sprouted Rye Bread.
- 15Assemble the sandwiches for grilling. We used a little Daiya Mozzarella--and it works best to first warm up the sliced brisket for one sandwich, topped with about 2-4 tablespoons of Daiya, in the microwave before grilling the sandwich. This way the cheese easily melts, & the brisket warms up before you grill the sandwich. Otherwise it takes too long to get the brisket warm & the cheese melted while grilling the sandwich.
- 16Each sandwich has sauerkraut & is spread with with either brown deli mustard, or homemade no-oil Russian Dressing.
- 17We grilled them without oil on a non-stick grill pan (any pan will do), & used a heavy panini weight to press them down.
- 18My new version of No-Fat Crazy Creamy Chia Russian Dressing:.
- 19Mix all the ingredients in a high-speed blender until well-blended, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 20When it's done, remove from the blender & add about 2 tablespoons of ketchup (enough to give it that salmon Thousand Island Dressing color) & 1 to 2 tablespoons of pickle relish to the mayo.
- 21Make ahead & let this gel about 15 minutes.
- 22Refrigerate leftovers.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Seitan Brisket Ala Chef Chad Sarno
Serving Size: 1 (2199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 792.6
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1659.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 90.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth