Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of my son's favorites. It's easy to make, and delicious. For a sandwich, add a slice of swiss or provolone on top at the last minute and throw the combo on some great homemade bread.
- 1 cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (plus 1 tbsp!!)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 1⁄2 inches thick slices smoked ham
- 4 slices fresh pineapple
- Combine the pineapple juice, brown sugar (don't forget the extra tablespoonful!), mustard, lemon juice, onion salt, and soy sauce in a medium saucepan, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes; stir frequently. Remove sauce from heat, and set aside.
- Trim any excess fat from the ham slices. Grill over medium coals for 20 to 25 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. While cooking, turn ham slices and baste every 5 minutes with the reserved sauce.
- Grill the pineapple slices over medium heat for 1 minute on each side. Garnish each slice of ham with two pineapple slices, and serve with the remaining sauce.
This ham is sooo good!!! I used pre-cut ham steaks that were a little thin so I cooked for less time. I liked that the sauce thickened up on the ham while it was cooking to give it a sort of glaze; even dunked the pineapple rings in the sauce before putting them on the grill! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.