- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened and cut into pieces, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 large bananas, yellow but firm with green tips, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Place brown sugar, 1/4 cup of the butter and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Heat over medium low heat until butter is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rum and pour into a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Arrange banana slices in circles over brown sugar mixture.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating will after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture in3 parts alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon and gently spread batter over bananas.
- Bake 45-55 min or until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minute.
- Run small knife around edge of cake; carefully invert cake onto serving plate. Serve warm.