Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a unique banana cake, as it has sliced bananas added instead of pureed, with a wonderful buttery streusel topping...a wonderful coffeecake to serve to guests or family.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup milk
- 4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups sliced bananas
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- Cream 3/4 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- Stir in cream; mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed batter; mixing well.
- Then fold in sliced bananas.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking pan.
- FOR STREUSEL: Mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter, until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of coffeecake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
This was very good--we all enjoyed it. The flavor was excellent. The only thing I did different, was that I used buttermilk instead of regular milk (I had it on hand since I was planning on making a banana bread until I came across this recipe!). Personally, we thought that 4-1/2 cups of bananas was a little too much. The next time I make it, I think I will try using less bananas, and maybe mash them instead of slicing them. I will update my review at that time. Thank you for sharing this recipe, dojemi!
The cake had excellent coffee cake texture and the banana slices were a nice change from pureed; although i think i would make chunks next time instead of slices. The topping wasnt very crumb-y, it was more of a topping, but the taste and crunch were great. Thanks!
I can not comment on the cake part of this recipe, but I did use the streusel topping to pair with the banana coffee cake Banana Coffee Cake. It was excellent, and I'm hoping to make the cake part next time as well. Thanks!