Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a unique banana cake, as it has sliced bananas added instead of pureed, with a wonderful buttery streusel topping...a wonderful coffeecake to serve to guests or family.
Top Review by MustangMom
This was very good--we all enjoyed it. The flavor was excellent. The only thing I did different, was that I used buttermilk instead of regular milk (I had it on hand since I was planning on making a banana bread until I came across this recipe!). Personally, we thought that 4-1/2 cups of bananas was a little too much. The next time I make it, I think I will try using less bananas, and maybe mash them instead of slicing them. I will update my review at that time. Thank you for sharing this recipe, dojemi!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup milk
- 4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups sliced bananas
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- Cream 3/4 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- Stir in cream; mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed batter; mixing well.
- Then fold in sliced bananas.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking pan.
- FOR STREUSEL: Mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter, until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of coffeecake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cake tests done.